Spicy Yammy Bacon Soup
Recipe by Kim Laidlaw
- 2 slices bacon chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- About 2 cups yam puree or other pureed winter squash
- About 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Whipping cream creme fraiche, or plain yogurt for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute the bacon until crisp.
- Remove to a paper towel with a slotted spoon and discard all but 1 teaspoon of the fat.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the yam puree, stock, and cream.
- Depending on how you prepared your yams to begin with, you might need more or less stock to thin the yams to soup consistency.
- Add the soup to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and heat gently over medium heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in shallow bowls, drizzled with cream and sprinkled with bacon.