Spinach and Cheese Strata
Make mornings more manageable by preparing this delicious spinach and cheese strata: your kids will beg for more spinach, cheese, and egg! Aviva Goldfarb from The Six O'Clock Scramble shares the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 50 Minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
- 6 slices ciabatta bread, about 1/2-inch thick
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups nonfat or low fat milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tsp. herbes de Provence, or use dried thyme or other Italian herbs
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Defrost the spinach (I put it in a saucepan without any added liquid and steam it over medium heat, covered, until it is thawed, about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, cut the bread into cubes and spray a 9 x 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and the milk. Whisk in the cheeses, herbs, garlic powder, and salt. Stir in the spinach and bread cubes until the bread is completely moistened.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish, smoothing it with the back of a spoon, if necessary. Refrigerate it, covered, for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to bake it, remove the strata from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake it in the center of the preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes until it is browned on the edges and cooked through in the center. Cut it into squares to serve it.