While exploring the city Vietnamese population in New Orleans for No Passport Required, Marcus Samuelsson was inspired to develop this spring rolls recipe.
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- 4 finely chopped raw shrimp
- 2 chicken thighs, raw finely chopped
- 1/2 lb minced pork
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp soy
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp Chinese plum sauce
- 1tbsp gochujang
- Salt, to taste
- 4 large butter lettuce leaves
- 2 tbsp shredded kimchi
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- Sweet Green Chili Dipping Sauce
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tbsp soy
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp scallion, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Season w salt. Mix well to completely combine.
- Lay out all 8 wrappers.
- Divide filling mixture into 8 portions on the wrappers, wrap up the rolls tightly.
- In a deep flying pan or sauce pot, add enough oil to fill the pot just under halfway full and heat to 375 degrees. Drop in rolls 2 at a time and cook until golden, about 3-5 min turning occasionally.
- On a plate, arrange 4 large leaves of lettuce.
- In each lettuce leaf, place 2 spring rolls, a bit of the kimchi and a sprig of cilantro. Rolls up the lettuce wraps.
- Serve with sweet green chili dipping sauce (below.)
- For the Sweet Green Chili Dipping Sauce:
In a large pot, sweat green chilies, soy, ginger, garlic, poblano peppers.
- Add in brown sugar, honey, fish sauce, water.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 min. Then remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Stir in cilantro, scallion, and lemon juice.