This savory casserole has a southern twist with the addition of hushpuppy mix. Who knew squash could taste so good? Watch Donna Reynolds make squash casserole in this video clip from Carolina Outdoor Journal.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 60 Minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 pounds squash, cut in half lengthwise, then into half-moons
- 1 pound sweet onions, diced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 ounces Onion Hushpuppy Mix or Plain Hushpuppy Mix
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, combine squash and onions. Add poultry seasoning and 2 tsp salt; cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and add hushpuppy mix, beaten eggs, sour cream, pepper and remaining salt. Mix thoroughly; pour into prepared dish. Spread cheese evenly over top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until golden brown on top.