Steak Sandwich with Roasted Tomatoes
For this delicious steak sandwich recipe - add roasted tomatoes and some rustic, country bread for an easy lunch to fill you up from the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes (or regular tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb steak tenderloin
- 1 loaf rustic, country bread, either from a bakery or homemade, sliced
- mayonnaise for serving
- sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice tomatoes into thick slices and place on a lined sheet tray. Drizzle tomato slices with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast tomato slices for about 25 minutes, flipping carefully halfway through. You want the tomatoes to break down and get almost caramelized in the oven.
- When tomatoes are finished roasting, remove from the oven and let cool while you cook the steak.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet over high heat. You want the skillet to be really, really hot (practically smoking) before cooking the steak.
- When the skillet is really hot, sprinkle a generous pinch of salt on the bottom of the skillet. Add the steak and sear for about five minutes before flipping and searing the other side.
- Cook steak on the stove to whatever doneness you prefer --- about ten minutes seems to do it for me. When done, remove steak carefully from the hot pan and let rest on a cutting board for ten minutes.
- Slice steak into thick pieces and get ready to assemble the sandwiches. Spread mayonnaise onto half of the bread slices, then carefully place a roasted tomato slice on top. Top with steak, lettuce and another slice of bread. Repeat with remaining slices of bread and enjoy!