Steel Cut Porridge with Honeyed Pecans
You can make porridge in advance for a quick, yet filling breakfast. Just add your favorite toppings.
- For the Honeyed Pecans:
- 3 tablespoons honey
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- For the Steel Cut Oats:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups steel cut oats
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup cocoa nibs (as garnish)
- Let's start by making the honeyed pecans. To a small saucepan, pour in the honey and heat over medium low heat. Add a pinch of salt and brown sugar; mix until the sugar dissolves. Add the pecans and toss, coating them in the honey/sugar mixture. Transfer to a plate, spreading them out a bit (be careful--they'll be hot!) so they don't stick. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, pour in the oats, stirring them until they're evenly coated in the butter; allow them to toast for about 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium low and pour in the boiling water and salt; give the mixture a good mix and then cover the pot, cooking the oats for about 20 minutes.
- Pour in almond milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; gently stir the mixture and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Divide the porridge between bowls, and garnish them with a handful of the Honeyed Pecans, a sprinkling of cocoa nibs, a drizzle of honey and a spoonful of your favorite jam.