Sticky Honey Peanut Cake
This sticky honey peanut cake recipe is courtesy of Phoebe Lawless, from the Scratch Bakery in Durham, NC. The cake appears is featured in the Honey, I'm Home! episode of Season 3 of A Chef's Life.
- For Cake:
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups fine biscuit/cake crumbs
- 1 ½ cups finely ground roasted peanuts
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3T cider vinegar
- For Syrup:
- ¾ cup honey
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ t ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously butter a 9” cake pan and reserve
- In a small bowl combine salt, cinnamon, biscuit/cake crumbs and peanuts and reserve
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients for cake and whisk until very smooth and eggs are aerated
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until cake just pulls away from sides and tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine syrup ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and cook on medium heat until thick, about 12 minutes. Reserve.
- Allow cake to cool 10 minutes. Using a skewer or small straw, poke holes in cake.
- Lightly brush with warm syrup, using it all. Allow to cool another 10-15 minutes
- before inverting to remove from pan. The cake can be served warm or room temp, excellent with whipped cream, ice cream, or a light custard sauce. Garnish with rough chopped roasted peanuts.
Tips/TechniquesRecipe is courtesy of Phoebe Lawless, from the Scratch Bakery in Durham, NC.