Strawberry Rhubarb Turnovers
Recipe courtesy of The Fruitguys Almanac
The Fruitguys got their start on the west coast, but now they deliver fresh fruit to homes, schools, and offices across the country. But selling produce isn't all they do: they also provide recipes, teach young people about nutrition, and demonstrate an eco-friendly business model. Come along with WHYY’s Friday Arts to learn how the FruitGuys make this all possible. Plus, you won't want to miss FruitGuys founder and chief banana, Chris Mittelstaedt, as he visits a school class in a costume befitting his title.
Photo Credit: Flickr
- 1 cup rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup strawberries, cut in half
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- Defrost puff pastry on a floured surface for about 40 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Put rhubarb, strawberries and sugar in a saucepan and simmer until very soft, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- If the mixture is runny, drain off fruit and reduce liquid over medium heat until it has the consistency of a very thick syrup.
- Add back to fruit and set aside to cool.
- Cut puff pastry into four squares.
- Place about 1½ tablespoons of fruit in the middle of each square.
- Wet the edges with water and fold in half diagonally to form a triangle.
- Crimp along the two open sides with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.