Italian Strawberry Tart
Whole strawberries are arranged in pre-baked pie shell and held in place by a delicious strawberry glaze. The quality of the berries is what makes this a winner. Watch Mary Ann Esposito make Strawberry Tart at CiaoItalia.com!
- Makes two 10-inch pastry shells:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- For The Filling:
- 1 quart strawberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, mix the flours, salt, and sugar.Add the butter and work it in until the mixture is the texture of coarse cornmeal. Add the beaten egg and just enough water to make a pliable dough.Alternately mix in a food processor Do not over mix. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. Bring the dough to room temperature before using.
- Divide dough in half; freeze one half for future use. Roll the dough out to fit a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.Fit the dough to the pan and bake it for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.Remove from oven and brush crust immediately with the jam. Set aside to cool completely.
- Crush 1 cup of the strawberries in a small saucepan. Add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 3minutes. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Press on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the solids. Add enough water to the juice to make 1 cup. Set aside.
- Return the saucepan to the burner. Off the heat, combine all but 1 tablespoon of the sugar with the cornstarch. Mix well.Slowly whisk in the strained juice. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes,stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, darkens in color and is clear and smooth. Keep warm.
- Arrange the whole strawberries in the pie shell filling it in entirely.
- Spoon the glaze over each berry, coating each one. Chill the pie uncovered for several hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Serve a dollop on each slice.