Stuffed Hot Peppers
Judith of Anchorage, Alaska submitted this recipe which was a winner in our Italian recipe contest judged by Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Hour
Total time: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 15 small hot peppers such as jalapeno, green or red
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 C. fine bread crumbs
- 1 TBSP. capers, chopped
- 3 anchovies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. pine nuts
- 1/2 C. extra virgin olive oil (or more if needed)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Slice the peppers in half lengthwise, including the stem. Scrape out the seeds (I like to use a grapefruit spoon). Leave a few seeds in if you like your food spicy.
- Mix all the other ingredients together making sure it is well saturated, but not swimming in oil.
- Stuff the peppers with the bread crumb mixture using a spoon. Pat down lightly. Place the peppers in a greased baking pan (Pyrex) and cover with tin foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and check peppers for tenderness. Bake 8-10 more minutes if needed.
- Serve on a platter heated or room temp.