- 24 large mushrooms (2 inches across)
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 cup romano cheese grated
- juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Trim the end of the stems and remove them from the mushroom caps.
- Clean or peal the mushroom caps and set aside. Chop the bacon into small dice and fry until the fat is rendered.
- Chop the stems and the onion and add them to the skillet. Saute until the onion is brown. Remove from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, parsley and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Moisten the mixture with the lemon juice and half the olive oil. Fill the mushroom caps and place them in a baking dish with the water on the bottom.
- Drizzle with the remaining oil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and the filling is browned.