by Chef Michel Nischan
A healthy "Three Sisters" succotash featuring beans, corn, and pumpkin
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups raw pumpkin cubed (reserve pumpkin shell for serving)
- 2 cups Italian black coco beans (or any other fresh shell bean)
- 4 cups trimmed snap beans any color
- 1 cup fresh Native American grinding corn (regular corn can be substituted)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 5 sage leaves julienned
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add Italian black coco beans, native corn, and raw pumpkin. Cover with vegetable stock and simmer until all ingredients are tender and the stock has reduced, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add trimmed snap beans and gently stir in sage leaves, sweet butter, and sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve in hollowed-out pumpkin shell.
Tips/TechniquesChef Michel Nischan notes: If freshly picked shell beans are not available, pre-cook dried beans until just tender and add to the succotash the same time as the snap beans. If native corn is not available, use fresh sweet corn and add the same time as the snap beans.
This segment appears in show #3201.
Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan
© 2007 Michel Nischan