This tasty recipe for Sumac sauce comes from Navajo Chef, Freddie Bitsoie, and is from PBS Food's Lidia Celebrates America; Part 4: Ancient Navajo House Blessing.
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ¼ cup ground sumac
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- Combine diced onion, minced garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper in saucepan.
- Add a few drops of water, and steam and sweat the ingredients.
- Add the sumac, and toast for a few minutes.
- Cover with water or chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig before serving.