Summer Zucchini Quiche
Tantalizing, dairy and egg-free Summer Zucchini Quiche is the star of this appetizing, mid-day meal. The taste and texture of this savory pie rivals the classic version, making it an excellent choice to serve as the main dish.
Recipe source: Jazzy Vegetarian Classics, Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites by Laura Theodore (Ben Bella Books 2013) Used by permission
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
- 3 heaping tablespoons sesame tahini
- 3 tablespoons cold nondairy milk, plus more as needed
- For the Filling:
- 2 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
- 14 to 16 ounces firm regular tofu, drained
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ⅓ cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 3/4 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Oil a 9-inch pie plate.
- To make the crust, put the garbanzo bean flour in a medium bowl. Add the tahini and the cold nondairy milk. Mix together using a pastry cutter or fork until the dough begins to form into chunks the size of large peas. Pull the dough together with your hands. If it is still too crumbly to form into a ball, add more of the cold nondairy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, up to 3 tablespoons.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in the prepared pie plate. Gently press the dough evenly over the bottom and partway up the sides of the pie plate. Bake the crust for 7 minutes. Put the plate on a wire rack and cool for 20 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, cut 10 to 12 very thin slices from the center of one zucchini and set aside for garnish. Using a box grater, shred enough of the remaining zucchini to equal 1½ cups (lightly packed). Put the 1½ cups shredded zucchini in a fine meshed strainer and place it over a medium bowl. Let the shredded zucchini stand for 10 minutes to drain excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, put the tofu, Italian seasoning, turmeric, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in a blender and process until smooth.
- Before removing the zucchini from the strainer, press it gently with your hands to push out any excess liquid. Put the zucchini and maple syrup in a large bowl and stir gently to coat. Add the red pepper and onion, and stir to combine.
- Add the tofu to the zucchini mixture. Add the vegan cheese and fresh pepper, and stir gently to combine. Pour the tofu mixture into the crust. Smooth the top.
- Cut the reserved zucchini slices in half and press them into the top of the quiche in a decorative fashion. Sprinkle the paprika in an even layer over the top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the center is set. Put the pan on a wire rack and cool for at least 60 minutes before slicing into wedges. May be served warm or refrigerated and served chilled.