We dare you to tell us you have seen a more beautiful lasagna. Adrielle of Somerville, Massachusetts submitted this recipe which was a winner in our Italian recipe contest judged by Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia.
Prep time: 1 Hour
Total time: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
Yield: 1 full 9x13 inch pan
- 1 lb of Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, diced/pressed
- 2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup ricotta
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced/torn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- About 3 pounds of zucchini, sliced into thin, lasagna noodle-like strips with a vegetable peeler or mandoline
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms, sauteed (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Cook the Italian sausage in a large pot over medium heat, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Turn the heat to medium-low. Add the onions, garlic and peppers, and brown until the onions turn a light golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Taste for seasoning. This made more than enough sauce for a 9x13 pan of lasagna.
- Stir together the cheeses, egg and basil until well combined. Keep refrigerated until needed. This makes enough for a 9x13 pan.
- Make the supreme sauce, stir together the rich ricotta mixture, and sautee the mushrooms (optional). Any or all of these things can be done the day before you want the lasagna.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Lightly oil a 9 x 13 pan. Layer zucchini slices to cover the bottom of the pan. Spread with half of the ricotta mixture, and sprinkle with half of the mushrooms. Top with tomato sauce. Repeat layers, ending with tomato sauce, zucchini, and more tomato sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the top of the lasagna with mozzarella, and bake for another 15 minutes