- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar or maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Sea salt Freshly ground pepper
- To make the dressing, put the oil, vinegar, brown sugar, and mustard in a small bowl and briskly whisk until smooth and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- NOTE: The dressing makes more than you’ll need for this salad, but it’s a great basic dressing to have on hand and is used in other recipes in this book. Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, leftover dressing will keep for about 1 week. Just whisk it briskly before using.
Tips/TechniquesFor a simple alternative dressing, whisk together 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with sea salt to taste.