Sweet Bows Crostoli
Lidia Bastianich shares her family recipe for crostoli.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 whole egg plus 1 yolk
- 3 tablespoon dark rum
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Confectioners’ sugar
- In the top of a double boiler, melt the butter, then add the sugar, milk and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour, butter-milk-sugar mixture, whole egg and egg yolk, rum, lemon zest and juice. Mix until the dough is soft but not sticky, 10 to 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut the dough in half and roll out each piece to form a rectangle 1/8” thick.
- With a fluted cutter, cut the dough into 1” x 6” strips and form each one into a very loosely knotted bow.
- In a deep fryer or deep, wide skillet, heat the vegetable oil just short of the smoking point and fry the bows in batches, turning them once, until golden brown.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain, allow them to cool and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.