Sweet Potato and Apple Soup
This thick and creamy soup is full of some of the season’s best flavors and would make any Thanksgiving table a more festive one. (Recipe and Photo Credit: Emily Wiley; Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large tart apples (like Ginger Gold), peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- cinnamon to taste
- handful of parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place sweet potatoes and apples on a baking sheet lined with foil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and roast for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and bay leaf. Sauté until tender. Remove bay leaf and discard. Pour in chicken broth and add sweet potatoes and apples. Puree in batches using a blender, or use an immersible blender to puree in pot.
- Return soup to pot. Add cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Heat through, but do not boil. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with parsley.