- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 4 cups water
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or organic coconut spread
- 3 Bosc pears, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 cup white wine or apple or pear juice
- 1/3 cup half-and-half or coconut milk creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Combine sweet potatoes, water, cinnamon stick and salt in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Remove cover and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick and set sweet potato mixture aside.
- Melt butter or organic coconut spread in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pear pieces and saute 5 minutes. Add wine. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until pear pieces are tender.
- In food processor or blender, puree sweet potato mixture and pear mixture in batches. Return pureed soup to Dutch oven. Add half-and-half or coconut milk creamer and pepper. Stir well to combine. Heat through and serve. Makes about 8 cups.
Two medium-sized sweet potatoes weigh about 1 1/2 pounds. Use the darker, garnet sweet potatoes when available.
Cover the top of the food processor with a kitchen towel when pureeing hot ingredients.