Sweet Potato Dumplings
This sweet potato dumplings recipe balances sweet and savory. Recipe shared by Brad Cecchi on Bringing It Home with Laura McIntosh.
Total time: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Potato Puree* (option to use canned puree)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Sweet Potato Puree:
- 4 Large Peeled Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 Gallon of Water
- Dumpling Filling:
- 8 oz Ground Chicken
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Scallions
- 2 Tbsp Black Garlic Puree
- 1 Cup Shiitakes
- 1 Cup Pickled Sweet Potato
- 4 Cups Shredded Napa Cabbage
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Potato Puree
- 1/4 Avocado Oil
- Instructions for Sweet Potato Puree: Boil peeled sweet potatoes in water until tender remove from water and blend in food processor until smooth.
- Instructions for Dough:
- Add flour into large bowl.
- Bring sweet potato puree and water to a boil.
- Add to flour and mix.
- Kneed about 3 tablespoons of dough into a very smooth small ball for 12-15 min.
- Place dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and let sit for 20 min.
- Instructions for Filling: In a sauté pan, add oil and when super hot, add ginger, black garlic puree, scallions, and sauté until aromatic.
- Add chicken and cook until caramelized.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until liquid is gone.
- Remove from stove and cool.
- Assembling the Dumplings: Press dumpling dough ball flat, allowing a place for filling.
- Place a tablespoon of filling into flattened dough. (you can add more but make sure the dumpling can still be pinched closed)
- Fold the dumpling in half and press the top closed.
- Then, use your thumb and index finger to fold a pleat into one side of the dumpling, and then fold an inverse pleat on the other side, pressing it firmly to seal it.
- Steam until fully cooked for about 6 minutes.
- Sear in oil and serve.