- 2-3 yellow sweet potatoes (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for pan frying
- Peel sweet potatoes and grate by hand through a large-hole grater. Put grated sweet potato into slightly iced water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove any ice that hasn't melted and drain off water from sweet potatoes. Squeeze out any excess water from grated sweet potatoes and transfer to a cutting board. Chop potatoes just a few times and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Grate the onion and add to potatoes along with flour, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large frying pan until hot (just rippling). Drop rounded tablespoons of potato-onion batter into pan and flatten with the back of the spoon until they are evenly flat and about 1/8 inch thick. Cook until medium to dark brown, turn and brown the other side. Remove pancakes onto paper towels to drain and keep warm in a 200-degree oven until ready to serve.
Serve with applesauce and sour cream.
Verdicchio or any crisp white wine with good acid.