Sweet Potato Pudding
I had a delicious Easter dinner when I was in Washington, D.C.: turkey, rice, corn, and a yummy dessert called sweet potato pudding. The best thing is, it's so easy to make, you can make it whenever you want!
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (1 lb. 8 oz. can of "yams" in syrup drained)
- 3/4 stick butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Check with a grownup, and wash your hands before you begin.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Open the can of sweet potatoes. Using a sieve or colander, drain out all the liquid. Pour the sweet potatoes into a large bowl. Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or a fork.
- Melt the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. DO NOT OVERCOOK the butter! Microwave for 30 seconds at a time (as many times as needed) until the butter is melted. Then pour melted butter into mashed potatoes and stir it in. (Be careful! The butter might be hot.)
- Add brown sugar to the potato mixture, and stir it in.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl, and beat them with a fork until smooth and yellow. Pour eggs into the potato mixture, and stir them in.
- Add milk, sweetened coconut flakes, and spices to the potato mixture. Stir everything together until it is mixed. (Note: if you don't have all the spices, don't worry. Adding even one or two spices will make it tastier!)
- Pour the potato mixture into an oven-safe, glass, baking dish.
- Using oven mitts, place the potatoes into the oven. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Clean up the kitchen while the wonderful aroma of baking sweet potato pudding fills your kitchen!
- When the timer rings, your sweet potato pudding is done! Ask a grownup to use oven mitts to take the baking dish out of the oven. Set the dish someplace safe to cool. Make sure to turn off the oven.
- Enjoy your pudding warm (but not too hot!), or cold.
Sieve or colander
Large mixing bowl
Medium microwave-safe bowl
Oven-safe, glass baking dish (about 8x8 inches)
Timer or clock