Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Need a Whole 30 recipe that's ideal for that chilly winter evening? Try Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- Sweet Potato Topping:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup minced kale leaves
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap sweet potato with foil and place on baking sheet. Roast for about 1 hour. Unwrap carefully (it’ll be super hot!) and scoop out flesh and transfer to a bowl. Mix the butter, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Grease a 8x4-inch loaf pan and set aside. To a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. Next, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ground chicken or turkey and cook for about 4 minutes, until mostly cooked. Next add the garlic, tomato paste, salt and crushed red pepper, worcestershire and thyme leaves. Give it a stir and add about 1/4 water. This will make it nice and saucy. Lastly mix in the minced kale and peas.
- Add the ground meat filling to the loaf pan. Top with the sweet potato topping and smooth it into an even layer. Transfer to the oven to bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is slightly browned. Scoop into bowls and serve.