Sweet Potatoes with Carmalized Onion Marmalade
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 4 allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes or yams
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush eight one-cup ramekins with olive oil. Cut 2"x12" strips of aluminum foil. Brush with olive oil. Place strips inside of ramekin around the bottom for easy removal.
- Place milk, allspice berries, pinch of nutmeg, and ginger in saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat and let spices infuse their flavor while preparing the next steps.
- Saute thinly sliced onion in a non-stick pan with 1/3 cup of orange marmalade. Stir frequently.
- It will take approximately 12 minutes to caramelize. Set aside.
- Pare and thinly slice the sweet potatoes. Place round slices in overlapping design on bottom of ramekin. Layer potatoes 2-3 deep.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of caramelized onion marmalade. Sprinkle lightly with flour and salt. Top with two more layers of sweet potatoes.
- Strain infused milk. Pour 1/4 cup of the fragrant milk into ramekin. Cover with foil.
- Place ramekins on a cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes covered. Remove foil. Continue baking for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- To serve, loosen the sides with the tip of a knife and carefully unmold onto plates.
- Top each serving with another dollop of caramelized onion marmalade.