Syllabubs fall into three categories: Everlasting, Whipt and From the Cow. The first is essentially a flavored cream pudding; the second is similar, but floated in a glass of sweetened wine. The last is the result of the curdling that occurs when warm milk is squirted directly from a cow into a bowl of cider.
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup double cream
- Grate the rind from your lemon, leaving all the white pith on the fruit.
- Squeeze and strain juice into a bowl, then add lemon rind and stir in the sugar, sherry and cream.
- Whisk, slowly to begin with, until thick.
- Pour into a serving dish or into individual dishes and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Serve with finger biscuits.