Tart ‘n’ Tangy Slaw
This is a slaw to please all of us who hate mayo-covered cabbage — a sweet and vinegary concoction that is cool, refreshing, and low calorie.
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 1/2 lbs. white sugar
- 1 head green cabbage shredded
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a pot combine the vinegar and sugar.
- Cook on low heat stirring occasionally until liquid becomes clear. When finished cool completely.
- In a bowl combine all slaw ingredients with the prepared slaw syrup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and let stand for 2-3 hours, mixing occasionally.
Alone or with anything.