Teff Porridge with Apples, Dates, and Pecans
Start your day with a bowl of teff porridge for a nutritious meal with apples, dates, and pecans from food blogger Aube Giroux of the Kitchen Vignettes blog.
- 1/2 cup teff
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- 6 mejdool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 apple, cubed small
- One small handful of pecans, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cream or milk of choice
- Place a small heavy saucepan on medium-low heat, and add the teff.
- Toast it, stirring frequently to make sure it doesn't burn. After about 5 to 10 minutes, the grains will make little crackling sounds as they start to pop.
- Add the water, butter, cinnamon, half of the dates and stir well.
- Bring to a gentle boil, cover, and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. If the porridge becomes too thick, you can add a little water.
- Once the porridge is thickened to your liking and the grains are soft (about 15 to 20 minutes), remove from heat. Stir in the cream or milk, ladle into bowls and top with chopped apple, pecans, and remaining chopped dates.
- Sweeten with honey or maple syrup if you wish, though the dates already lend a sweetness.
- Dust with a little cinnamon and serve.