The Cat In the Hat Birthday Party: White Cake
We know you'd like a special way to celebrate the Cat's birthday. What's better than a hat-shaped cake? So here is one that you can bake.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose ﬂour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg white
- Preheat oven to 350° F. (Remember: always get an adult’s permission before using the oven.)
- In a bowl combine ﬂour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add buttermilk, butter, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Then beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Add egg whites and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Pour batter into the greased and lightly ﬂoured baking pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool thoroughly.
- While the cake is cooling, you can prepare the frosting...
Tips/TechniquesWhat You’ll Need:
1 medium-sized mixing bowl, 1 mixing spoon, electric mixer, 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan