- 3 lbs. small red potatoes halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 2 whole chickens (3-½ to 4 pounds each) rinsed and patted dry
- Line a cutting board with wax paper before working with raw poultry. You can toss out the paper when you're done and won't have to disinfect the board.
- Preheat oven to 450°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Prepare and season chickens.
- Nestle chickens, breast sides up, among potatoes; rub chickens with remaining tablespoon oil, and season each with salt and pepper.
- Roast, tossing potatoes occasionally and brushing chicken with pan juices, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh (avoiding bone) registers 165° , about 1 hour.
- Let chickens rest in a warm spot 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 374 calories; 22 grams fat; 40.9 grams protein; 0.4 gram carbohydrates; 0.2 gram fiber