Tomato & Cheese Strata
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 onions minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green peppers minced
- 12 medium tomatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 small can tomato paste cayenne salt, pepper, parsley oregano to taste
- 3 cans peeled and diced green chilies
- 16 slices of French bread buttered and cubed
- 1/2 lb. grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Saute olive oil, onion, garlic and green pepper for five minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, spices (except dry mustard) and chilies to first mixture. Simmer 10 minutes.
- In buttered 9x13 pan, layer half the bread, tomato sauce, half the cheese, remaining bread and cheese. Mix eggs with milk and seasonings and pour over casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes.