- extra-virgin olive oil for baking dish
- 1 lb. rigatoni
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 medium onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a saucepan or kettle, set 4 cups water to boil. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange half the pasta in a single layer in dish. Top with one-third the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oregano, half the potatoes, onion, and 1/2 cup Parmesan; season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Layer with remaining pasta, another one-third tomatoes, and remaining oregano and potatoes; season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with remaining tomatoes.
- Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Carefully pour enough boiling water into dish so that it comes just to top layer of potatoes (you may not need all the water). Tightly cover dish with foil and bake until liquid is absorbed and pasta and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour. Remove foil and top with 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake until browned, 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.