- 1 ¼ cups frozen cheese tortellini
- ( 1/3 of a 16-ounce bag)
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 8 ounces fresh shitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- If you find fresh tortellini, you can use that instead of frozen; cook in a pot of boiling salted water until the pasta floats to the top, about three minutes.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook tortellini according to package instructions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add tortellini, Parmesan, butter and parsley. Toss to coat; serve.
Tips/TechniquesNote: The mushroom sauce can also be tossed with plain pasta, such as fettuccine, linguine, or spaghetti. Cook two ounces of pasta, and add two more tablespoons of Parmesan.