- 4 skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno chile diced (with seeds for more heat)
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (5 ounces)
- 4 large scallions thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro sprigs
- 1 Lime cut in wedges
- Preheat oven to 400° . In a large pot, bring chicken, broth, jalapeno, and 8 cups of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; let cool.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with oil, stacking them as you go. Cut stack in half, and then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Place strips on a rimmed baking sheet; bake, tossing strips occasionally, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, skim fat from surface of broth in pot, and strain liquid through a sieve into a clean pot (you should have about 8 cups). Shred chicken with a fork or with your fingers, and return it to the pot. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Divide soup among serving bowls, and add tortilla strips. Garnish as desired.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 604 calories; 36.3 grams fat; 46.6 grams protein; 23.9 grams carbohydrates; 3.6 grams fiber