- 4 strips bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 lbs. ground dark-meat (7% fat) turkey
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup minced garlic clove
- 2 medium fresh jalapeno chiles (ribs and seeds removed for less heat if desired), minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes in puré e
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- Coarse Salt
- 3 cans (15.5 ounces each) pinto beans drained and rinsed
- Assorted toppings such as cheddar cheese, pickled sliced jalapeno chiles, reduced-fat sour cream, and fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat a Dutch-oven (or other heavy 5-quart pot) over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until crisp brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Raise heat to high; add turkey. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno; cook until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cocoa powder, and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Break up tomatoes with a spoon or your hands, and stir them in along with the puree. Add molasses, 1 cup water, and 4 teaspoons salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook, partially covered, 30 minutes.
- Add beans; continue cooking, uncovered, until meat and beans are very tender, and chili is thick, about 30 minutes more. Serve with toppings.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 480 calories; 13.7 grams fat; 46.6 grams protein; 47.1 grams carbohydrates; 14.5 grams fiberr