Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Streusel Topping
If you're a sweet potato fan, you'll love food blogger Jenna Weber's delicious side dish idea for twice baked sweet potatoes that are smooth and sweet with a crunchy streusel topping in her full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
Yield: 2 servings (recipe easily doubled or tripled)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- For Streusel
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Wash your sweet potatoes under cold water. Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Place sweet potatoes in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Let potatoes cool briefly, then make a six inch slice down the center and scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Add the cream cheese, cinnamon, salt and maple syrup and beat well.
- Place mashed sweet potatoes back into the skin (as best you can --- it might be a little messy). Now, make the streusel. Mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with your fingers until only small clumps remain.
- Spoon the streusel over the stuffed sweet potatoes and bake at 400 degrees for another 20 minutes. When done, the streusel should be golden brown and toasty.
- Let cool before serving.
- These potatoes can be assembled completely up to two days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.