Vegan Basil “Chicken”
Turn a meat dish into a vegan alternative by choosing your ingredients wisely for a similar dish that is equally delicious as the original. Food blogger Marc Matsumoto explains how to mimic the flavor, texture, and taste in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 396 grams (14 ounces) firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 100 grams (2.6 ounces) shiitake mushrooms, finely minced
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1-2 Thai bird chilies (to taste)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoons unrefined sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 25 grams Holy basil (or sweet basil if you can’t find it)
- Freeze, thaw and wash the tofu. See the post on vegetarian ground meat for the detailed process.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add the oil and then add the mushrooms and garlic, sautéing until most of the moisture has evaporated and the mixture is very crumbly (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chili peppers, bell peppers, and onions and stir-fry until the onions and bell peppers are almost cooked.
- Add the vegan ground meat and stir-fry until the tofu has slightly browned.
- Add the sugar, white soy sauce and dark soy sauce, and continue stir-frying until all the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is an even tan color.
- Finish by adding the basil and frying until bright green.