Want to eat more veggies? You won't even realize this BLT is vegan and full of vegetables. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
Yield: Makes 4 sandwiches
- Eggplant Bacon:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mellow or light miso
- Freshly ground black-pepper, to taste
- Vegan BLT Accessories:
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- Vegan mayonnaise
- 8 slices of bread of choice, toasted
- To Make the Eggplant Bacon: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set a cooling rack on top of a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut off both ends of the eggplant. Then, with the cut button end flat on the cutting board, cut the eggplant down the middle. Lay each half, cut side down, on the board, and slice into 1/4-inch strips.
- In a large colander, layer the eggplant strips, sprinkling liberally with sea salt as you go. After you finish the layering, let the eggplant sit for 15 minutes. I usually set the colander over a plate or in the sink to collect the liquid escaping the eggplant.
- Rinse the eggplant thoroughly. Towel-dry-the pieces of eggplant, and arrange them on the rack-fitted baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, apple cider, vinegar, smoked paprika, tamari, and miso. Brush half of this mixture onto the eggplant strips. Season the eggplant with black pepper.
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Remove the eggplant and use tongs to carefully flip over all the strips. Brush the remaining half of the oil and maple syrup mixture onto the exposed side the eggplant. Season the eggplant with black pepper once more. Roast the eggplant for another 10 to 15 minutes or until you start seeing some crisped edges. Serve eggplant bacon hot.
- To Assemble the BLTs: Sprinkle the slices of tomatoes with salt and pepper. Place them on a paper towel and allow to stand for about 5 minutes, while you gather the rest of your ingredients. This will give the tomatoes time to release some of their water.
- Smear on a swipe or two of mayonnaise to the slices of bread. Add the butter lettuce, then the tomatoes, avocado and then lastly the eggplant. Slice in half and serve. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.