Vegan Caprese Salad
Caprese salad doesn't have to include cheese to be tasty. On the Fresh Tastes blog, food blogger Marc Matsumoto tells you how cured tofu can be just as delicious as mozzarella.
- 1 package (350 gram / 12.3 ounce) firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon salt
- olive oil
- 2 (400 grams / 14 ounces) large ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar (preferably from Modena)
- small handful of basil leaves
- Slice the tofu into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Drizzle the lemon juice evenly over the tofu and then sprinkle the salt evenly on both sides of the tofu. Place the tofu on a wire rack over a sheet pan. Refrigerate uncovered overnight. This will draw out moisture from the tofu while seasoning it.
- Slice the tomato into ¼-inch thick slices from side-to-side. Plate the tomatoes and cured tofu by alternating them in a staggered stack.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and tear some fresh basil on top. If you like, you can sprinkle a little sea salt on top to finish it off.