Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This vegan version of Cream of Mushroom soup is plant-based, gluten-free, and oil-free without losing flavor. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 5.3 ounces yellow onion (1 small onion, finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounces assorted mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 2 cups soymilk
- 3.5 ounces assorted mushrooms (whole, for grilling)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the onions, water and salt to a pan with a lid. Cover and cook over medium heat until the onions are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add the chopped mushrooms, cover and cook until the mushrooms have wilted.
- Put the remaining whole mushrooms on a piece of foil and broil until they are cooked through and browned around the edges.
- Add the soy milk to the pot and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Transfer the mushroom soup mixture to a blender and puree the soup. When pureeing hot liquids in a blender cover the top of the blender with a towel and apply pressure to hold the lid down while slowly turning up the speed, otherwise the escaping steam will blow the lid off, splattering hot soup all over the place.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. To serve, divide the soup between 2-4 bowls, and top with the grilled mushrooms.