Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich
Create the taste, texture and color of egg salad without eggs by using tofu, vegan mayonnaise and turmeric.
(Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto from the Fresh Tastes Blog)
- 10.6 ounces (300 grams) firm tofu
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons parsley, finely minced
- It's important to get rid of as much liquid as you can from the tofu otherwise your finished salad will taste watery. Put the tofu in a strainer over a sheet pan and put something heavy on top like a bowl filled with water. Let this sit for at least an hour and then use paper towels to soak up any remaining water on the tofu. If you're in a rush, you can skip the pressing and use a butter muslin to squeeze out the excess water by hand.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mustard, salt, turmeric and paprika in a small bowl.
- Roughly crumble the dried tofu using your hands into a bowl and add the celery, onion, parsley and dressing. Mix together, leaving some chunks of tofu.
- To make sandwiches, just spread a thick layer of “egg" salad on a piece of toasted bread. Add your favorite vegetables such as cucumbers or tomatoes, and top with another slice of bread.