Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
This vegan macaroni and cheese recipe appears courtesy of Green Restaurant in Tempe, AZ. Watch a review of this restaurant from Check, Please! Arizona.
- ¼ cup margarine
- ¼ cup gluten-free oat flour
- ¼ cups soaked raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces plain potato chips crushed
- 1 red onion minced and caramelized (optional)
- 12 ounces elbow pasta
- Soak the cashews in water overnight or at minimum 6 hours. Save the water for future use in cheesy sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a blender, put the water and the soaked cashews, olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, tahini, fresh garlic, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium-sized pot, melt the earth balance margarine and add the gluten-free oat flour together to make a roux. Be careful not to scorch the butter. Cook the roux for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in mixture from the blender of cashew cheese sauce and simmer for about 6 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Cook the corn elbow pasta for about 4 to 5 minutes. You want the pasta to the al dente and undercooked as the remaining of the cook time will happen while it’s baking.
- Mix together the partially cooked pasta with the cheese sauce input into a 9X9 casserole dish. Top with a 2 ounce package of crushed potato chips of your choice (suggested salt and vinegar or jalapeno flavored chip). Add a red onion that has been minced and caramelized with a little bit of olive oil. The onions and chips will just begin to scorch before the dish should be removed from the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.