You can make this favorite condiment into a vegan-friendly version without adding any tofu either.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 6 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 packed tablespoon freeze dried corn powder (4 grams)
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/16 teaspoon paprika
- Add all the ingredients into a blender or small food processor and blend until smooth and the oil has incorporated with the soy milk.
- Find a small stainless steel bowl that rests on the lip of a small sauce pan with a lid.
- Put about an inch of water in the bottom of the pot, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture into the bowl and when the water comes to a boil, turn down the heat to low, remove the lid and carefully place the bowl in the saucepan.
- Heat, stirring constantly until an instant read thermometer inserted into the mayonnaise reads 149 degrees F (65C). It should wobble like a loose custard but shouldn't be runny.
- Immediately remove the bowl from the double boiler and place it in a water bath to stop the cooking. Store your mayonnaise in an air-tight container.