Vegan Quiche with Spinach and Tofu
Aimee Johnson of Minnesota submitted this recipe for our Healthy Eating Contest.
Aimee Johnson describes her recipe:
This vegan quiche is a wholesome, low-cholesterol brunch entree made with versatile, protein-packing tofu! This delicious eggless alternative to traditional quiche will fool even the most devoted brunch aficionados... no one will know it's vegan! And like traditional quiches, ours contains one of the all- time great super foods: leafy green spinach.
Prep time: 20-40 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pie crust, store-bought or your favorite recipe
- 3 T olive oil
- 1/3 c. onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 c. broccoli, roughly chopped
- 3/4 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. firm or extra-firm tofu (not silken), pressed
- 1/2 block Follow Your Heart soy cheddar
- 1/2 c. nutritional yeast
- 2 T water
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. dried basil
- 1/4 t. cayenne (optional)
- 1 c. fresh spinach, not packed down
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large pan, saute the onion, broccoli, mushrooms, and garlic in the olive oil, covered, for about 8 minutes. Don't let the broccoli get too tender, because it will continue cooking in the oven. In a food processor, combine the tofu, soy cheddar, nutritional yeast, water, salt, pepper, and basil. Blend well and pour the tofu mixture into the pan of vegetables. Remove from stove and stir in the fresh spinach.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake about 30 minutes. Remove from oven when the center is done. Allow it to set for five minutes or so to firm up.