Try this vegan tiramisu recipe from PBS Food. With tofu instead of Marscarpone, this non-dairy alternative is a decadent dessert everyone can love.
- 300 grams (14 ounces ) extra firm tofu
- 250 grams (8.8 ounces) raw cashews
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed espresso
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon coco powder
- The day before you make the tiramisu, put the tofu in the freezer. Wash the cashew nuts and put them in a bowl and cover with water. Put the nuts in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you're ready to make the tiramisu, fully defrost the tofu in the microwave or in a bowl of warm water. Remove the tofu from the package and place it in a bowl of water. Wash it by gently pressing on it, changing the water when it gets cloudy. Repeat a few times until the water stays clear. Be careful not to crack the tofu too much as you’re squeezing it.
- Remove the tofu from the bowl and press it between your hands to squeeze as much water out as you can.
- Slice the tofu into 1/8-inch thick slices and press each slice between a few sheets of paper towels to remove any remaining water, you want them to be as dry as possible so the espresso mixture doesn't get watered down. Place the tofu in a single layer in a square pan.
- Dissolve the sugar in the espresso and then pour it over the tofu. Let the tofu marinate while you work on the cream.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the soaked cashew nuts into your blender or food processor. Add the salt, lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Start the blender and slowly add the soaking liquid until the cream is about the thickness of whipped cream. Once it's the right consistency, stop adding water and let the blender run until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Put the tofu in a strainer and give it a very light press to get rid of the extra liquid. In a glass bowl, layer the soaked tofu with the cashew cream and dust each layer with coco powder. Repeat until you’re out of tofu, finishing with a layer of cashew cream and coco powder. Chill until you're ready to serve.