Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
Warm up with a bowl of this hearty, homemade vegetable beef barley soup.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
Total time: 2 Hours, 00 Minutes
- 1 lb. beef or steak, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (or 1 bouillon pack)
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup barley uncooked (quick-cooking)
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (about 3 cups)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 extra bouillon cubes (or 1 extra bouillon pack
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the beef in the olive oil.
- Once the beef has browned, add the garlic, 1 cup of water, bouillon, bay leaf, and salt & pepper.
- Reduce heat, cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour.
- After one hour, add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.