Prepare Martha Stewart's vegetable tian recipe for a colorful dish with lots of nutrients.
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves with all but 1 clove unpeeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow squash, about 6 ounces, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small Japanese eggplant, about 6 ounces, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 zucchini, about 6 ounces, thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 plum tomatoes, about 1 pound, sliced lengthwise ¼-inch thick
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sprigs of thyme, rosemary, oregano, or marjoram
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Halve the peeled garlic clove and rub bottom of a large baking dish with the cut side of the garlic. Coat the bottom of the dish with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Arrange vegetables in dish, alternating them and overlapping them. Season with salt and pepper as you layer the vegetables.
- Scatter herbs on top and drizzle with remaining oil to coat generously. Add garlic cloves evenly over the top.
- Bake 25 minutes, then baste vegetables with oil from pan, and continue baking until tender and browned, about 25 minutes more.