Vegetarian Italian Chopped Salad
Try this alternative vegetarian Italian chopped salad with lots of olive oil, oregano and red wine vinegar as a dressing. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, and more to taste
- Pureed garbanzo beans:
- 1 (15-ounce) can of garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 pound provolone, sliced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pickled pepperoncini, roughly chopped
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 head of raddichio, thinly sliced
- Parmesan, as garnish
- Black Pepper, as garnish
- To Make the Dressing: To a small bowl mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, black pepper and salt. salt and then add the oregano. Give it a taste and adjust the salt according to your liking.
- To Make the Pureed Garbanzo Beans: To a food processor or high-powered blender, add the garbanzo beans, along with the garlic clove, water, lemon juice and a few pinches of salt. Pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Give it a taste and adjust the salt to your liking.
- To Assemble the Salad: To assemble the salad, add the red onion, provolone, pepperoncini, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, romaine lettuce and raddichio to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until thoroughly combined.
- To serve the salad, add the garbanzo puree to the bottom of a serving bowl. Smooth it out into one even layer. Add the salad mixture on top and serve. Top with a tablespoon or two of grated parmesan and a few turns of black pepper.