Veggie Alphabet Soup
Fizzy’s Tip: Make a vegetarian version of this soup by substituting vegetable stock for the chicken broth. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 celery rib sliced thin
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large tomato seeds removed and chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 small yellow summer squash chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup green beans trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 6 ounces small alphabet pasta
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the carrots, onion, and celery, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, tomato, and thyme, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the summer squash, green beans, and pasta, and cook until the vegetables and pasta are tender, about 6 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs, add the parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.