Velvety Bittersweet Chocolate Pudding
Recipe by Denise Santoro Lincoln
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons good cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Heat the milk on medium-low heat until it starts to steam with small bubbles around the edge. Turn off the heat.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar in a bowl until the mixture is a light yellow color.
- Add the sugar, corn starch, cocoa, and salt to the egg mixture and whisk thoroughly, making sure there are no lumps.
- Add about a half cup of the warmed milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously to temper the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture to the milk and incorporate thoroughly.
- Cook on medium-low just until the mixture starts to bubble. Be sure to frequently stir or the pudding will start to burn at the bottom.
- Lower the heat to simmer and cook for five minutes, stirring often.
- Once the pudding is thickened, turn off the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- After the butter has melted, add in the chopped chocolate and stir until it is thoroughly melted and incorporated.
- Divide into serving bowls, or place in one large bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, being sure to let it sit directly on top of the pudding to avoid a skin forming.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Serve with whipped cream.