Warm Chocolate Cakes
This warm chocolate cakes recipe appears in the "Chocolate" episode of Martha Bakes.
Yield: 4 individual cakes
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more, softened for molds
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate (54%), preferably Valrhona, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Butter and lightly flour four 4-ounce molds, ramekins, or custard cups. Tap out excess flour; set aside.
- Place butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler or heatproof bowl set over simmering water, and heat until the chocolate has almost completely melted. Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, yolks, and sugar until light and thick.
- Beat in flour until just combined. Stir together the warm melted chocolate and butter. Pour chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Divide batter evenly among the molds.
- Bake the molds on a baking sheet for 7 to 8 minutes; the center will still be quite soft, but the sides will be set. Immediately invert each mold onto a plate, and let sit for about 10 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one side of the mold; the cake will fall out onto the plate. Serve immediately with whipped cream, if desired.